Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Tuesday.. last week

There are times when you can not imagine being anywhere eles.. I am so here and now.. and yet when I walked the back streets of a new part of the city at dark.. I am reminded that I am a stranger in a strange land. I think Thailand makes it's money from rice and tourist. You go around every bend and there is some sign in english saying ...happy hour.. or special this or that.. even on the soi that are very remote. I looked at the map last night and I have walked all but 12 streets in the old city. Ask me anything.. I have found the 24 hr great rice soup place, and I know where you can eat with a candle at night, and where to get lanters and beads.. and and. I am a rather simple eater, but being more adventurous.



I heard from Beth today so she at least made it to the beach and sounded ok in her e-mail. This pic was from a day we strolled.. yes that is a true word though unusual to say about Beth.. I hope she takes some time to just sit and do nothing... time will tell.


Last night, after hearing all about the fabulous tapas place.. I ventured out. The had chicken satey (cooked on a skewer of lemon grass.. with hot pepper and peanut sauces. ) and a beef with potatoe.. and the rest was fish.. I also had sauted mushrooms and something on bruchette and mixed veggies (mostly peppers) with a red pepper dip.. and a couple of short beers. As expected the meal was about 500 b. I enjoyed the atmosphere.. very upscale and unfornately, I left my hat. Now how will I remember that I am a really good person. Hats have been a trouble for me.. my hemp hat.. and now my zen hat. I have hooked my hook on the outside of my backpack.. which I will carry today on the way to Loas.. and I am hooking my hat on it. It is too hot to be without.

The place was very nice.. and you could sit at little round tables or lounge against the wall.




I went to a Wat yesterday.. I am down to only 2200 left to see.. and altough they are ever so slightly different.. I can almost tell them apart. There was no one there except a young boy. I bought a jade elephant that is to bring luck.. we shall see. There were a few young monks outside painting the stone blocks. The first one was painting with one hand and talking to someone on the cell phone on the other hand... I liked the light of the last one.. and thought.. why isn't he turning around so he can see what he is painting..




I also bought another book.. why bonny why... about the rules for lay people as handed down by the buddha.. think they might have had the same translators.. the rules for married women with their husbands sounds calvinist.. (sorry Jim)..

When I walked home the dark streets of the back alley.. I stopped in at an internet and picked up a message just written by Linda. I always smile when I thing that I am on the internet at the same time as the other person....I have found Kim at night and Linda in the am..and have IM'd with a friend in Fl. Today, at 8:30 I called Georgette. It is the only phone number, except mine that I know by heart. I stopped in to the place in the alley since it had one frang at a computer.. it is strange to suddenly think.. well girl.. you are carrying an expensive camera... and a few credit cards...most of the people passing say.. hello and just keep going. You can walk by tiny beautiparlors and laundries still pumping out the days work.. for 15-20 b a kg. hard work. They almost all hang the clothes out... even though there is dirt in the city, they keep things swept all the time and hang the clothing on hangers and fold it very carefully. poor but proud and friendly.. that is the Thai.. Laos will be interesting.. I am looking forward to the baggettes.. viva la french occupation.


I wish I could say that I was a shaddow of my self.. I have lost a small amount of wt.. but you will not notice.. think my toes have gotten thinner.. I am pretty sure there will be ok internet in L.. but if you don't here from me.. not to worry unless GP gets a call from the state dept....bye for now...b

No comments:

Eleventh Day

 Wow, it is easy to slip into a similar pattern to what I had at home. I produced a plan to change many things - delete more emails, eat hea...