Friday, February 15, 2008

Friday...


These are a couple of pics I wanted to share re Laos.... was that only yesterday.. there are some very beger guest houses in LP..and when I said.. wow.. they have the tp on the street for sale.. several said..and for $10 a night..you need to bring your own. I can see me when I get home looking for the wastebin to toss away my used tp.. The other picture was taken at a tourest booking place. there are two things.. the bomb surely but also, the streets. I expected it to be me much dirtier. you think you are on a movie set.. clean .....
I am back at my little home away from home.. This has actually worked out well re my living space and computer place. The hotel is surprisingly good.. the beds are notoriously hard.. a slab with a thin matress.. but even this is not bad and their are two beds in the room.. the tv is state of the art.. watched what a woman wants with thai subtitles.. last night.. it was relaxing while I moved some stuff from here to there in the suitcases. I have made a large note to me not to bring so much stuff with me.. particularly books. the more I have gotten into my zen.. here and now.. the less is the book.. I would rather live my life than read of someone else's life... but you must be thinking that now about this drivel.

The internet is very swank.. large stuffed chairs that they require you to put the keyboard on your lap or type over your head.. at least not in a box. I had my free breakfast.. which turns out to be salad.. which I am not up for at 6:30 and rice..which was not ready.. and something.. I think some other rice and maybe banana;s ... I opted for a tangerine.. and a marmalade sandwich.. toasted.. you know it is toasted because it is warm. Anyway.. the picture is not a presentation of a dirty place.. just the reality of urban living.. I am sure roberta's cousin's live here...but I have not seen them.. This works like an ant trap.. they walk in .. and then take the stuff back to the queen roach.

This is a view of the outside of the building from accross the street. I would stay here again. but without breakfast. My room is on the backside away from Tha pea... main drag. What looks like balcony.. is the basket for the air conditioner. Again.. this is really ok.. and very central.. the red hibiscus was very nice.. but not as convenient.


After the blog time yesterday, I had a foot massage at the temple.. very good.. she helped to see what she was doing and working on. The folks that are there are certified by the thai massage society... The I stroled along and came to a place tht had morning glory, peanuts and a pumpkin soup that was great.. Before I left, I ordered a large brownie .. and that was good.

They had some music playing .. which if you were alone on V day. could make you really down.. slow semi country stuff.. the only think that made is rather different was the band at the next place that just about drowned them out. They were better than they looked. There were many woman out with their children trying to sell the men flowers for V-day.. and a pug was in the bar with the owner...


I took a strole and looked at the art deco at the bar. not exactily sociology of art... but I got into the difference beween each. There was a man thinking he could play the trumpet.. and a german club and danish place.. and italian.. all interesting. You really can't see but that is a guitar holding up the table.
I have not needed the pharmacy.. but I can not say enough good things about them. They all speak English.. and they can pretty much suggest something to cure whatever.


So today was cooking school and I walked to the school at breakfast and was there just as they were arriving. The school is interesting. The owner and an other teacher taught the course. We picked up about 11 in our class.. Chinese, Canadian, Belgeim and US. The first thing we did was to go to the market... it is was interesting because I got to asks some questions ... for example.. why the pink eggs. They have been hard boiled ..and what was the different in the rice.. it all looked the same. different growers and the price was my liter.. or measured.. so .. some farmers bring older rice.. and some new... there are also brown, red, and mixed rice.. and sticky..... Witcha has red sticky.. but the cooking school man did not know of this. I learned more about sticky rice and regular rice and cooking.. I might see if I can find a steamer in the morning at the market. Here Salak was washing the sticky rice and the putting it into the steamer.. they we cooked for 30 min. very good.. very nice..






The best part of this cooking school was that you walked about and picked the produce and could see how you got the stuff and how it was grown... The treacher was easy to follow and could answer any questions about his farm. I knew the celantra becomes coriander.. but the different egg plant etc. was interesting.. I took picks of each step of the way.... also we could decide if we wanted yellow, red, or green curry...and we could watch the others being made... tofu or chicken...oil or soy.. etc.. I made spring rolls and pumpkin in coconut to bring home for my dinner. I will probably stroll down to the market.. have a beer and then come home around 10 and have my snack... The people in the class were very nice.. and the price.. 900 is pretty standard.. $28... the difference..we made

five different dishes each.. and watch 10 others being prepared... and made lemongrass tea.. long day.. and I was tired.. standing... I got in his truck at 8:30 and got out at 4:30... I would recommend this class because you can really see the connection with the grocery and farm.


These are my cooked spring rolls...he challenged me to roll them well.. he didn't know I take to a challenges. but I can also climb in and out of a truck easily... and climb stairs without breathing hard.

For some of you, I have made the chicken marinated and then deep fried and wrapped in pandana leaf.. this is the leaf.. I now know how to make a boat to put my spring rolls in... It will be fun to do soup and bread for the sunday group.. in the near future.

I elected to make a green pappya salad.. We picked them right off the tree...he did it a little differently and then said.. thai's eat everything with rice and this with sticky rice. I tasted his 4 chili.. and it was do able...

I would like to get something to cover my conforter...I know that tucker will discover I am home.. but it really helps to keep the sheet and blanket on you.. so I will look for that.. Love my Laos slippers... hard to keep on but fun.This is the last night for the night market for me.. I will on the train at 5pm.. to chug off to BKK.. It is to take 14 hrs.. if I am lucky. I will get up and check my mail in the am.. and probably do one more blog.. for those of you who know want to know my conclusions re the spiritual part.. sleep in it will be sat..
This is the last chance gang.. I have wts, shawls, amulets, elephants.. if you want something... speak or not.. I have some room.. and I will be paying for the extra wt anyway.. and pray the plane not full.. although I know the men with the doll will be the plane... tune it.. will they have the "child" in its own seat.... or just in the black bag...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bonny ~ Safe, safe travels back...see you when you get home!
Elaine

Eleventh Day

 Wow, it is easy to slip into a similar pattern to what I had at home. I produced a plan to change many things - delete more emails, eat hea...