Friday, August 28, 2009

test blog and an a-fair to remember


This is my test blog for the trip. I have always loved rural fairs and last night was not exception. The Dutchess County Fair is one of the largest county fairs in the county and I think most of the people from a 1000 mile area also heard about the fair and attended. When and where else can you see the country singer from Dancing with the stars and bejeweled NYC folks mingling. Some young man in a bathing suit climbed a 150+feet pole and jumped into something that was unseen from where I was standing. There was an older couple trying to sell jam with not much luck and a booth full of young men hawking jerky. The young woman with a well filled halter top was doing well promoting soft bristle floor sweeper. You are pretty sure that many of the young men buying the product will put it in the back of the closet. Most of my attention was to the live stock area. This was dress your sheep in something. The natural was this 6yr old who was the the proud granddaughter of the woman next to me on the bench. This was her first year in the sheep business and I almost was very up close and personal to the action since she could not control the criter. The others were dressed in tights, as UPS boxes etc.. it is a very patient lamb that can put up with this stuff...
I have always thought sheep were dumb and smelly. Pigs are smart..and ok they smell a little....but cows.. there is an interesting animal. There was a woman sitting the barn drawing the cows as if it were the Grand Canyon. She did not look up or down but just scetched away. I didn't think it was a great likeness to bossie.. but the woman appeared very pleased. A little way down from her was a young girl sitting with her cows and talking on the cell phone. Shortly after a young man came along and crawled in next to her and put his arm around her. The cow was taking notes and it looked like the cow on the ground and the one standing were having a discussion about. - this must be a new version of "rollingin the hay". Like the artist...this couple really did not care if folks were there or not.
While the sheep dressup was going on, the cows were being judged. Georgette noted that some of the cows had their hair in a punk much like this young handler. The Mohawk appears to be back in a vengeance and I think one might buy stock in the gel products that are needed to get the hair up their and to stay. All and all, I had a good time at the fair. Lucky for me G has a handicap sticker so we got to drive almost to the gate. It is amazing how many folks attend the fair. I saw many eating, and a few riding the rides and some crazy young man who climbed a large pole and then jumped into something. I did not see what it was but since there was no shriek from the crowd, I guess he made it. Note no picture of that... I did get a snap, but it could be a large towel and you had to be there to see that it was some crazy many waving his arms.. so this is the end of the first patch blog. I found that I can patch the text form the word doc but I have to put the pictures in manually... next time bigger pics. bye for now.

No comments:

Eleventh Day

 Wow, it is easy to slip into a similar pattern to what I had at home. I produced a plan to change many things - delete more emails, eat hea...