Sunday, September 30, 2012

Who am I


Why do I even turn on the Sunday football game…… Well you are unrochestarian if you are not watching the Bills and often watching them lose.  My mother, who as totally non athletic, said “they play better when I don’t watch”.  I think I can say the same and but I often “watch” while I do Sunday things.. clean the kitchen and do the laundry.   

Years ago when I was doing “organizational change” stuff… I suggested some changes and a few folks bought into it and within three week, I made a few “tweek” suggestions and was told…this is how we always do it.  Of course I knew the always was about 2 weeks. 

In addition to nothing is permanent, I also hold that how we do anything is how we do everything.  We have a good life going and feel good about where we are going and then we take a right turn away from our essential self and start adjusting to our new way often driven by our employer or a relationship.  It is not unusual to hear someone say – I always do this when….    We drop who we are, what is essential and start putting on things that are more associated with the other or makes that relationship work easier.  Rarely  not big things like robbing banks but little things like not doing what we enjoy… I gave up skiing… or doing what we really don’t enjoy… antique shows was not my cup of tea… and soon.. what we enjoyed is lost and what someone else holds dear… becomes our always until we can’t remember what we enjoyed about do this.

I have come with a few new concepts for life….1) The key and hardest job for a parent is making the other parent look good or better.  We have a natural tendency to want to be on top or at least good in our child’s eye. 2)  You can’t move forward until you go back and find yours…. Moving on in a stranger’s likes and dislikes is only going to lead you to a place that will not satisfy your soul. 

No comments:

Eleventh Day

 Wow, it is easy to slip into a similar pattern to what I had at home. I produced a plan to change many things - delete more emails, eat hea...