Sunday, September 23, 2012

BALANCE...easier said than done.

Last week I took a yoga class and found that I could not do even the root position for the tree position.   You are to “root” yourself in the ground… lead toward the rooted leg and then put your other foot up to your knee.  If you are really good, you can wave your hands about.  The instructor could do that.  I got my foot on my foot and did not move… Same same but different.

Today in my reading I was reminded of the five mental qualities that are strengthened by meditation.  They are the keys to living with minimum stress.  Again, they are the yin/yang of similar emotions:
1)      Steadiness and Flexibility
2)      warmth and clarity and
3)      spaciousness. 
 
In sitting you have to be steady and not waver but at the same time, you need to acknowledge the mind flow and be flexible enough to hold your position while you acknowledge  your thoughts.  I could say something about the others.. but that is a great balance act for me.   I can see the paradox.   You are playing tennis and at one time you are aware of your body and the same time.. aware of where you are on the court and what your opponent is doing.   All interesting stuff.. but back to balance.  Just the right about of rushing forward and just the right amount of sitting quietly and ah…. And …. Mmmmm

No comments:

Eleventh Day

 Wow, it is easy to slip into a similar pattern to what I had at home. I produced a plan to change many things - delete more emails, eat hea...