Sunday, January 22, 2017

reading and writing

“I note however that this diary writing does not count as writing, since I have just re-read my year’s diary and am much struck by the rapid haphazard gallop at which it swings along, sometimes indeed jerking almost intolerably over the cobbles. Still if it were not written rather faster than the fastest type-writing, if I stopped and took thought, it would never be written at all; and the advantage of the method is that it sweeps up accidentally several stray matters which I should exclude if I hesitated, but which are the diamonds of the dustheap.”  Virginia Woolf

Reading has always been difficult for me.  Interestingly the two failings – my hearing loss and dyslexia keep me on the edge of understanding what others are saying or expressing what my inner voice is saying.  For the most part, I just bang out words and only backtrack to those words that pop up with red underlines when my fingers jump ahead to the next word before I finish the last.


Writing this blog over time and sending it to trusted friends has changed significantly since the first days.   When I first wrote, I wrote to tell others what I was doing or seeing, then I shifted to write what others wanted, and now I have found that I am trying to keep two sets of words and often not putting anything in on screen/paper.  I need to collect myself and be my self

I am glad that I don’t have to write on paper with a pen for I would never write just as I hardly read.  Reading is almost as difficult as writing ( I consistently write difficault ..) and often transpose my letters when reading.  

Neither the hearing nor the reading has stopped the thinking.  

 I learn by both, but confirm when I write.  If it sounds like a soap box, just don’t read what I write.

1 comment:

JoAnn said...

Keep the posts coming - love reading them!

Eleventh Day

 Wow, it is easy to slip into a similar pattern to what I had at home. I produced a plan to change many things - delete more emails, eat hea...