Sunday, January 22, 2017

There is no self and other.


The Buddhist concept of non- separateness – there is no self and other,  is challenging when you see someone, collection, group that feels so apart from what you fanaticize as not related to your way.  This election has challenged my acceptance of non-separateness and brought to my forethoughts how can anything in me hold what the leader of the free world and his supporters are saying. Exaggeration trumps facts etc.   It is much like saying that person is not my president.  I am an American. DJT is the president of America.  Logic 101 says My president is DJT. 

I would like to think that I am not a racist. Make America Great again feels like Make America White again as the black/brown skin are statistically challenging the white skin population.  My DNA says I have some – 1-4% native American or African heritage so am I “them” or us or we.  Hard to bring into your arena of acceptance traits that don’t smooth into a nice package of who you think you are.

One of the most challenging things of last year was being told by someone I respect that I am a bully.  DJT feels like a bully with your ideas are not mine so wrong.   Am I like that?  Passionate, high energy, strong opinions, tenacity, outspoken all feel better.  I felt hurt by the remark and what I thought was a friendship faded quickly to non-contact.  “use superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force him or her to do what one wants.”  From a distance and after reflection, if I could change the words to say using strength, knowledge, and experience to alter someone’s behavior or thinking to make a change in their life or support a cause…    I can live with that.   I am not a mouse sitting on the sidelines and if speaking up and out is bullying, so be it.
There is some of me in DJT and some of the DJT in me.  I am from Ohio, and when I ride my scooter, I have a red neck.  I have been a hard taskmaster when working on projects but did not use a whip… does that mean I am not a “cracker”?   

Same Same but different.  It is all part of the large collective and at that point… not separate.


No comments:

Eleventh Day

 Wow, it is easy to slip into a similar pattern to what I had at home. I produced a plan to change many things - delete more emails, eat hea...