Monday, January 29, 2018

Which is it…the hole or the arm

     I am listening to Ajahn Khan – Food for the Heart.  He had a great way of putting words together that really is helpful to me for putting my one foot in front of the other.  I have been thinking of one of his questions.  When you come to a hole and you can’t reach the bottom, what do you say

– the hole is too deep?
- my arm is too short?
- Or the depth of the hole is beyond the reach of my arm.  

     All three are correct but it is a matter of perspective, responsibility and how you might resolve the problem.  The deep hole takes you our of the issue and the short arm puts the oneness on self which the third is a more objective view of the situation and helps to more reasonability resolve the dilemma – get a ladder to climb down and thus bringing you to the bottom or extend your arm with a stick etc.   In a simpler situation when I am walking in the woods and trip on a root – do I first kick the root – bad root for living in my way or do I hit my foot and say stupid foot know where you are walking or do I say.. lesson learned – there will be more roots and I need to use my vision and spatial assessment to assist in managing to have my foot and the limb trying to take the same space.

     A retreat is a time to regroup and get perspective.  While there might not be tree roots or holes in the meditation hall, there is noise, body discomfort, other people who sit in your favorite corner etc.  Upon coming back to the regular world - on the road, there are the young hotshots who come too close to your scooter space, the single person sitting at a table for four, that even though you are only one, causes you to be annoyed and want to manage their lives.  And in the past year, a political leader who could sap my energy and capture my focus to the bottom of the hole.   So   That is my new word    So… it is my reminder that nothing is permanent.  When the Titanic went down – lives were lost but new ships were built and we sailed on.  

When you ride the scooter here, you “own”about 4-6 feet directly in front of where you are going.  That is it.  As long as you are aware of what is there now, what is approaching and are prepared for anything/anyone to enter your space, you will ride with ease.   Might have to change your speed, slow down, put on the breaks, etc.   Yelling (honking) at another in a "you are in my space"  kinda way, does little.  So no one honks and you move through your life, taking care of your business and arrive at your destination safely.

A retreat is good to examine your practice with less tree roots.   I will go again and for 21 days and then come home and practice – and for today, I will not give my energy to anything or anyone that is outside my 4-6 feet

No comments:

Eleventh Day

 Wow, it is easy to slip into a similar pattern to what I had at home. I produced a plan to change many things - delete more emails, eat hea...