Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Kansas

KANSAS

Most folks will tell you that there is nothing like Kansas for knowing what a very large country we live in. Ok...it went on for a long time. Georgette asked if there was a lot of traffic.... I think I went about 10 min between cars..and that was in both directions. While there was not a lot of stuff in the distance... it was the vastness that was so remarkable. This was the Santa Fe trail...and it is beyond imagination of what it would be like in a wagon. Then after miles of prairie...there is a farm and silo, and horses, and lots of black cows. I have put over 2000 miles and I am not there yet. I stopped in the middle of the ride and went to a car wash... I am pretty smart...but I had to put 2x the 1.50 to get the soap off.
I also stopped at the Sante Fe trail museum...well not exactly the one for the whole trail...just the one that focuses upon the people and something else. It was only $4..but I just did not want to be inside reading about dead people..so I bought a few postcards and left the change. The woman, secretary was very interesting looking...long white hair and like an army wife..she has travelled with her National Parks Ranger husband...and ended up in a suburb of Great Bend KA....population 150... and she loves it.. I bet she does...and she probably is well read.
The tree in front of the office reminded me of her.... It was kind of out there by herself..
This is a plant that is growing all over the place ...so I asked the well read secretary..and she told me that it what they use to feed the animals or use for auto fuel....now that is something to think about.... Well I am in the motel 6...had to pay an extra $3 for the Internet...it is free...you just can't use it without the code.,... too tired to figure that out... As you can tell..I put the pictures in wrong... oh well might be the altitude.... 4000+...more in am...

1 comment:

JoAnn said...

so when do you get to say "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore?"?? Tip and I are off tomorrow!

Eleventh Day

 Wow, it is easy to slip into a similar pattern to what I had at home. I produced a plan to change many things - delete more emails, eat hea...