Friday, November 09, 2012

Mother's Day




at 97 post stroke
at 30 pre bonny
It was a nice day yesterday, but my time was limited and I had an errand to run, so I didn’t take the scooter to the motor vehicle office.  I got up and washed my hair and put on the brightest turtle neck I could find, packed the knitting in the Thai fun bag and set off.  I could read the third line down without my glasses but kept them on for the first time and answered yes when I was asked if I wore my glasses to drive.  I got my wait number and proceeded to knit a few rows when waiting.   I smiled as I looked at the 72.50 check since like most of the checks I actually write, I do it on the computer as my mother used her type writer.  I don’t look anything like my mom but I am becoming her.  She would always have something in her “bag” to do while she waited.  She didn’t wait; she was an adjuster and used her time efficiently.  She got dressed to go while I made sure I wasn’t naked and ran out the door. I was only in the DMV for a half hour.  When they handed me back the temporary DM (driver motorcycle) and I saw the 2020… I wondered if I will still be using the M part of the license at the next renewal.   Tuesday is my annual day with my Mother when I spend some of the day thinking… what would she do… and the ever present, would she be pleased with me.  I see Nov 13th as my mother's day.  The day that surely changed her life from the continuous travel with Dad and the life of being served by the many hotel staff from Maine to Chicago that we all got to know so well.  I was the unexpected alteration in her otherwise controlled and ordered life... but she adjusted. 



1 comment:

CDP said...

happy early birthday/mother's day...

Eleventh Day

 Wow, it is easy to slip into a similar pattern to what I had at home. I produced a plan to change many things - delete more emails, eat hea...