Saturday, February 08, 2020

a year later

Someone passing through my life at this time has been looking at this blog.  I scribbled for 800 entries and then switched to my personal diary on Penzu.   Stimulated by someone else making a comment, I will put a few of my own musings on here.   Note - I do you spell check and Grammarly, but if I spend real time making this publishable, I will delete and go back to my personal recordings.  So for those of you who just read what comes from my heart.. thanks.
I have been doing some reading about aging. Think birthday 80 in November pushed me a little in that direction.  Other than some heart concerns, I am fortunate to have my mother's health.  Even after her stroke at 90, she was sharp and interested in life and did not miss a trick.

There appear to be two major things that I believe I have developed, which the researchers feel is the key to enjoying life as the calendar says you have been on earth a long time.

Conscientiousness - I want to do whatever I am doing to the best of my ability and better if possible, and I take obligations to others to heart.  My Mom once said I was the most organized, unorganized person she knew, which made me very time efficient. - I plan my day and select my 3 MIT ( most important tasks).
Openness - I love trying new things, and I look for new ideas and new ways of doing things.  When I look at people who are slipping mentally, I often find the complacency to do the same thing. Again, my Mom said - if you want to stay young, keep getting younger friends.  So, I meet everyone I can and try to learn something from each. It's essential to surround ourselves with new people—young people—and to try new things. While some folks might think it is risky for me to be pushing a scooter around, I don't think it is dangerous, and I will not do dangerous things, but new things.

Change - I am not sure everyone needs therapy, but I do feel we need to be open to examining our lives and make changes when it is necessary and appropriate.  It is easy to get stuck and accept - can't teach an old dog a new trick.   By staying mindful, creating some silence to hear your heart sing, and being present in your life - the need to make some shifts float to the top of your awareness.  Grab on... it is exhilarating to wake up and still get excited about the adventure of knowing yourself in your now world. 

No comments:

Eleventh Day

 Wow, it is easy to slip into a similar pattern to what I had at home. I produced a plan to change many things - delete more emails, eat hea...