Saturday, January 19, 2008

Did I ever go home

I have now been up for 27 hrs and counting but all is well and Khaosan has not changed...well maybe a little. I was hoping to paste in a picture or two but the window is blocked and tonight I am too tired and struggling once again with a semi-English/Thai keyboard. The longest part of the trip was getting on the plane. I had the bulk head seat with a photo journalist going to Burma and a mom and daughter going to Nam to pick up a baby. They talked of not wanting to eat the street food and I sat thinking about weather to have a pineapple or banana pancake first. I ordered western veggie.. well it was still Thai but I did get cheese and butter. Think I slept a little on the plane. My new pillow was very comfortable. I had looked up the seat and read the note this is the smallest seat in the plane. I fit, but I should have gone on the ultimate diet long ago for there was only enough room for a thin letter on either side of my thighs. Add me, the water bottle, my fanny pack, the blanket and a pillow and I did not need a seat belt. We could have done wheelies in the air and I would still be securely in my seat. It was a four movie three meal trip. I sat and looked at the length of the plane and the phrase.. how can they get that much gas in the plane went over in my head. We made it. I walked through customs and bags without a hitch.
Just as I was packing Thursday, I found were my suitcase zipper had come undone.. so as long as I only zipped to the right and not left, it appeared to hold. When I stood watching all the bags come off the line.. but not mine, I was expecting an announcement - lots of corn hill t-shirts and vitamins are in lost luggage.. but that went ok. I was happy to see sun when I walked out.. last year it was so depressing with the bleak smog etc. The photo journalist does not like BKK.. it is the kind of city when you blow your nose and think.. lord I am breathing in all that stuff. I just will not blow my nose.. or blow it in the dark.
I had planned to take a cab in to the city so I only negotiated a little and the cab was more than my room. 800 baht.. which as of today was 33 to the $1. The hotel had sent instructions to be printed out for the cab... cheering smiling cab driver new but did not know where to go so wanted me to read the seven numbers starting at the end.. and he said it was 8. well 8 was the 6Th number. What looks simple.. just cut this out and give it to the driver turned into some very funny stuff. Finally there was a slight pause in the forward progress since he decided to actually stop at a light so he could read the note. He made a call and then we proceeded.
I picked this hotel because there did not appear to be any bars with boom boom BOOM music. The drive stopped on the main drag next to Khaoson and let me out. He said he had asked that they send someone but I could just walk down through the stalls and then turn left and I would find it. As I walked I thought.. fish.. noise .. fish ...noise. I found an "inn" which was actually in and out or (room by the day) but I was in the next one. It is quiet and no smell in my room. there is a window that looks out on to an alley but it is very very quiet.
Not for the faint hearted but cheap and I have other ideas for my $... so I can share the room. I found two beetle looking things with long whiskers resting in a corner. I explained to them ( I am sure they are the oldest surviving critter) that I was a Buddhist and would not kill them as long as they slept on the floor. I read that if you keep a light on, they will not roam round as much.. so I will leave the light on in the shower. I also noted that folks padlocked their room when they left after locking the door... fortunately, the old girl scout brought my combo lock from my ym bag. Happy bonny.
I will only share a few stories for I am tired and I need to walk through alley's to go "home" to my pets. As I walked up still another ally to get to Khaosan, I saw and offering on the ground about 10 feet from a spirit house.. there was two lumps of rice and something in a bowl and incense. As I got the camera ready to click, I found that a large mouse.. well you get the drift on that one.. about 5 feet long was partaking of the rice. I got a blurry picture of the rodent but it was very amusing to me. There were also cats walking about, but they were not about to tackle anything this large.
The usual crowd was on the Road and I went to a newer place near my facial place and had an hour foot massage.. happy bonny. It is now 9:30 pm my time.. morning for you and I have been in these clothes since yesterday at 4... time to go and have a scambled egg. Going to pass on the beer tonight.. need to find my way home.
Tomorrow I will start my quests and take the water taxi and sky way to the market early in the morning. I am enjoying being by myself so can fuss with my pictures. Know you are all with me.. bye for now.

No comments:

Eleventh Day

 Wow, it is easy to slip into a similar pattern to what I had at home. I produced a plan to change many things - delete more emails, eat hea...