Monday, January 09, 2017

Money

When I was younger, I often lived on the edge with little extra funds.  There were times when I was not getting my expense check and was traveling that I was actually living from the gas pump to pump on credit.   I had poor credit since I was spending much more than earning.  I bought the house with no money down... and did most of the work, with little knowledge and helpers that often knew about what I did.  Logic and guts got me through as well as my love for my best friend that drove me to finish.
Today, after 47 yrs of working - a not so big but ok pension and SS, I pay my bills and have money in my account as well as some investments.   I don't have a great deal, but my house is almost paid for as well as the car - I have a $50K line of credit, a $2K overdraft, and a money market account tied to my Summit.
When I first arrived, it took me five days to get Summit et al to know that I was in Asia.. although I had told them and they had confirmed.
Today's trauma ....with about $12 in Thai money in my pocket (I have $300 in AM as an emergency)... I go to the bank, and it says... check your account....  I check cash - $3K... I check savings---$3K... I check Money Market....$7K...  I tried again... 3-4 times.    I go to another machine... card inserted incorrectly....   I check the card... wipe the strip.... and try twice more.... same way... same direction...and finally... $$$$$  My rent is due tomorrow....5500 for everything... so I have $ for gas and dinner.
I see kids at dinner counting their coins to pay for a coffee....    I have enough total to buy the condo I looked at ... all I want is $250....  
It is the small things in the process that brings you back to really...  as to the product...I am here... it is now... I can put gas in the scooter... and all is good.
I will learn how to transfer money from Summit to Bangkok NYC at no cost and get a Bangkok Bank Credit Card so I remove myself from the mercy of the credit union.  For 5 years they were great... the last two... It is a roll of the dice.

2 comments:

JoAnn said...

Oh rats! Thought this was solved. I can't imagine what's going on with Summit, but I know that it's very distressing to be halfway around the world with financial obligations and have a machine deny you happiness! It seems like you have developed a good solution to this issue for your next time traveling, but it's got to be frustrating. If there is anything I can do from this end, please let me know. Been enjoying the photos, and, once again, love the ones of flowers and dogs the most. It's dark and dreary here, and very cold, but it's not getting to me as badly as it usually does. Maybe your photos are transporting me!!?? Or maybe there is so much other awful information to dwell on in the days preceding the ascension of Twitler that even cold, gloomy weather can't touch it!!

Dewey said...

Wow! It sure sounds like you are having to jump through a bunch of hoops with your bank in order to get your funds. How frustrating that must be for you. I hope that you got it all straightened out and continue to enjoy your retirement in Thailand, it sounds amazing!

Dewey @ TMS of PA

Eleventh Day

 Wow, it is easy to slip into a similar pattern to what I had at home. I produced a plan to change many things - delete more emails, eat hea...